2019 Lower Mainland New Year’s Eve Activities
The largest New Year’s Eve celebrations in the Lower Mainland used to take place around Canada Place in downtown Vancouver. The festivities there included ticketed parties as well as free concerts and fireworks.
Unfortunately, last year was the final year for the main fireworks and concert activities at Canada Place. On December 31st, 2019, there will be a series of smaller events at different locations instead, and then, on the last day of the year in 2020 (and other future years), there will be fireworks and a massive light show at the eastern end of False Creek.
Other significant New Year’s Eve events in 2019 take place at area ski hills including Mt. Seymour and Grouse Mountain on the North Shore, as well as in the Fraser Valley at Sasquatch Mountain. All four resort events include fireworks and various amounts of family-friendly activities.
Of course New Year’s Eve celebrations for adults ages 19+ also take place at night clubs and other party venues throughout the Lower Mainland.
See below for details about all of the above December 31st party places.
New Year’s Eve parties take place at various night clubs, theatres and other venues around town. Some of the most popular parties in 2019 for adults ages 19+ are listed below.
(Note: Rates, venues and other details are subject to change.)
- Vancouver Boat Parties – the popular cruise company offers a New Year’s Eve party cruise on December 31st in 2019. It runs between around 8:30 pm and 1:30 am on the Queen of Diamonds yacht and features a buffet dinner, party favours and DJ music. The trip starts and finishes in False Creek by the Plaza of Nations at 750 Pacific Boulevard. For tickets and more details click New Year’s Eve Boat Party.
- Guilt & Company – the popular live music venue in Gastown features an evening of casual fun. Don’t expect fancy decorations and party favours here. Do expect a wonderful time though, and to be entertained by NaRai & Friends. Admission is by donation (with a suggested minimum of $25 with all funds collected going to the singer and his co-performers).
- Vancouver Theatresports – the live theatre improv performance at the Improv Centre on Granville Island on December 31st is New Year’s Eve 2019.
- Family NYE @ Glow – a family-friendly New Year’s Eve event takes place in the evening at Glow Vancouver at the Plaza of Nations by False Creek. The event includes live entertainment, a bubbly drink, craft activities and all of Glow Vancouver’s regular Christmas lights and attractions. Early-bird prices start at about $20 for seniors and children and $25 for adults.
- NYE at Harbour Event Centre – an end-of-2019 event with lights and DJ music at the Harbour Event Centre. Tickets are $45 plus tax and online fees.
- New Year’s Party at the Shipyards – North Vancouver’s Shipyards hosts its second annual New Year’s Eve party at the Tap & Barrel Restaurant at #8 Lonsdale Avenue. Tickets are $25 at early bird prices or $35 for regular admission.
- A Very 90’s New Years Party – featuring a night of 90’s DJ music at the Gull Bar & Grill at 175 East 1st Street in North Vancouver. Admission costs $45 and includes appetizers and a complementary welcome drink.
- Dinner and Dance Party at the Pinnacle – New Year’s Eve is celebrated at the Lobby Restaurant at North Vancouver’s Pinnacle Hotel with a three-course dinner and dancing. Tickets cost $53 for just the dinner, or an extra $35 with a wine pairing (plus taxes, tip and fees, and a $15 cover charge after 8:00 pm).
- Grand Ball NYE 2020 – a New Year’s Eve party with elaborate design, art installations and live entertainment at the Fairmont Hotel Vancouver at 900 West Georgia Street. Tickets start at about $60.
- New Year’s Eve at Frankie’s Jazz Club – a night of dinner and Jazz with the Bradley/McGillivray Blues Band at 755 Beatty Street.
- New Year’s Eve 2020 Gala Ball – New Year’s Eve celebrations at the Fairmont Waterfront at 900 Canada Place in Vancouver. The party goes from 9 pm to 1 am and tickets start at around $96 including taxes and fees.
- Casino Royale New Years Eve – a James Bond-style celebration of the end of the 2010’s at the Lamplighter Public House at 92 Water Street in Gastown.
- Gatsby’s House Party – the party at the Marriott Pinnacle at 1128 W Hastings Street in downtown Vancouver includes an appetizer buffet and DJ music. Admission starts at about $73 including taxes and fees and the party goes from 9 pm until 2 am.
- NYE 2020 at the Taphouse Guildford – a dance party featuring the music of DJ JAY VILLE and a giant balloon drop at 15330 102A Avenue in Surrey. Tickets cost $20.
New Year’s Eve Boat Parties
One of the best places to celebrate the arrival of the New Year is on a New Year’s Eve boat party cruise. They offer night club-style dancing, food, drinks and spectacular views of the city.
A popular New Year’s Eve cruise in 2019 is with Vancouver Boat Parties. Their event runs from around 8:30 pm on December 31st until 1:30 am on January 1st. It takes place on the Queen of Diamonds which is a 300+-person luxury yacht. The event features a dinner buffet, party favours, a licensed bar and DJ music on two different floors.
This is a very popular event and will likely sell out well in advance (so reserve your spot early). For tickets and more details click New Year’s Eve Boat Party.
The Lower Mainland’s largest New Year’s Eve celebrations used to happen around Canada Place in downtown Vancouver on the evening of December 31st.
IMPORTANT NOTE: As mention above, the Canada Place fireworks event will NOT be taking place on New Year’s Eve on December 31st in 2019. The event is taking a one-year break. It returns to Vancouver on December 31st in 2020, however, but at a new location – at the eastern end of False Creek (near Science World). See the Concord Pacific NYE website for details.
Up until 2018, the free street party with 20 food trucks, outdoor concerts and over 100,000 people used to take place along Canada Place Way. There were also indoor ticketed events at the Vancouver Convention Centre.
In years when it did take place, the free Street Party ran from around 7:00 pm until 12:15 am, indoor ticketed events went from 7:00 pm until 1:30 am, and fireworks took off at both 9:00 pm and 12:00 am.
Click Canada Place at New Year’s Eve for more information.
NEW YEAR’S EVE TIP
Wanting to make New Year’s Eve 2019/20 extra special? Then book a hotel in downtown Vancouver through StayVancouverHotels.com. That way you’ll be able to enjoy a few extra drinks and won’t have to fight traffic to get home after the festivities.
December 31st at Area Ski Hills
Lower Mainland ski hills are where you can celebrate New Year Eve’s in the snow. Mt. Seymour offers a family-focused event and Grouse Mountain has both adult-only and family-friendly options.
Vancouver’s North Shore mountains have early evening fireworks most years. Sasquatch Mountain has fireworks followed by adult-only partying in the pub.
The Family First Night event at Mt. Seymour runs from 5:30 until 8:30 pm and costs about $30 per person. Activities include laser tobogganing, fire pits, snowshoeing, live entertainment and fireworks.
Click Family First Night for more information about the North Shore’s longest running New Year’s Eve event.
North Vancouver’s Grouse Mountain ski resort offers three different New Year’s Eve options on December 31st. There’s a New Year’s Eve Dinner, Family New Year’s Celebrations and a Snowshoe Fondue.
New Year’s Eve Dinner
Grouse Mountain’s New Year’s Eve Dinner is the ski hill’s main option for dining. In past years there was a Gala which was for adults only and included dinner and then dancing. In 2019, there are dinner options, but also dancing.
Dinner in the Observatory Restaurant in recent years cost about $120 per person (plus taxes, tip and beverages). In December 2019, however, sittings range between $125 (for an earlier 6-course dinner) up to $150 (for a later 8-course session).
In 2019 the 6-course dinner menu features a chickpea crisp and hummus appetizer, salmon with caviar, a smoked radish and kale salad, sturgeon, striploin steak, sorbet and chèvre cheesecake for dessert. Extras with the 8-course dinner include goat cheese tortellini and veal tonnato with tuna belly. Vegetarian options are also available.
Four-course dinners are also offered for $90 (plus taxes, tip and beverages) at Altitudes Bistro.
Click Grouse New Year’s Eve Gala for more information about the event.
Family New Year’s Eve Celebration (SOLD OUT)
The Family New Year’s Eve Celebration at Grouse Mountain includes ice skating, fire performances, a live band and DJ music at the skate pond, fireworks at 9:00 pm and more. This event often sells out (and has for December 31st event in 2019).
Activities scheduled for December 31, 2019, include live entertainment, sleigh rides, and photo opportunities with the Snow Queen and King. The headliner band last year was Delhi 2 Dublin. Entertainment for 2019 includes the band Toy Zebra and ventriloquist Kellie Haines.
Click Family New Year’s Eve Celebration for further details about the event in 2019.
The New Year’s Eve Snowshoe Fondue event at Grouse Mountain usually includes a guided tour through the snowshoeing trails followed by a fondue dinner in Altitudes Bistro.
Sessions most years started at 11 am, 1, 4 and 7 pm and the cost is around $100 (or $24 or so less for season’s pass holders). Included with the cost is use of a headlamp at night, snowshoe rentals, the fondue and the ride up the hill in the Skyride Tram from the parking lot.
Click Grouse Snowshoe Fondue for more information about the event from last year. This event appears to not be taking place in 2019 on New Year’s. Snowshoe Fondue is available on Saturdays starting January 11th, 2020.
On New Year’s Eve Cypress Mountain usually offers s’ mores to roast around fire pits, live entertainment and fireworks. The snacks typically start at around 5:00 pm, the entertainment runs from 5:45 until 7:45 pm or so, and the fireworks begin at 8:00.
The live entertainment at the Cypress event in years previous included Flamenco music and hands-on Afro-Peruvian percussion and drumming. The event on December 31st, 2019, will be similar.
Click Cypress on New Year’s Eve for more information.
Sasquatch Mountain is located in the Hemlock Valley not far from Harrison Hot Springs. At the resort on December 31st most years there’s a torch-light parade and fireworks.
The torch-light parade usually starts at around 8:30, the fireworks blast off at around 9:00 pm and New Year’s Eve celebrations continue at Molly Hogan’s Pub from 10:00 pm to 1:30 am.
Tickets for the event at Sasquatch Mountain cost just $15 or so, which is the same price as in previous years. Tickets also must be purchased in advance.
See the Sasquatch Mountain website for more details.